BTEC Nationals in Business use a combination of assessment styles to give learners confidence they can apply and knowledge to succeed in the workplace. This range of vocational assessments - both practical and written - means you will be able to showcase your learning and skills to best effect when you take your next step, whether that's supporting applications to higher education courses or to potential employers.
The BTEC National Extended Foundation Diploma course is designed to be taken over two years, however the National Diploma can be achieved in Year one.
What makes Business at HRC special?
BTEC Business students:
- have practical experience from real world assignments
- take responsibility for your own learning
- develop interpersonal and practical thinking skills
- have a strong core base of knowledge
- have real experience of effective teamwork
- learn how to work to a brief with set deadlines
- efficiently manage time to complete tasks and processes
What do our students say?
"My personal tutor is a great teacher and has helped me out over the years with all my problems. I wouldn't change any of my teachers as they all help me to achieve high grades."
"Business Level 3 is an advanced subject where you can discover the business world from the perspective of the staff, Finance, Marketing and from external factors. I believe the subject is good for anyone wishing to go to University via this route, as this course will help you achieve the standards they are searching for."
"The college as a whole is calm and quiet; people mind their own business and are here to achieve their goals and to set up their future."
We are proud that our students go onto careers including:
Marketing Executive, Retail Manager, Personal Assistant, Office Manager, Estate Agent, Retail Management, Project Co-ordinator, Human Resources Officer, Company Secretary.
What can I do next?
- Progress to Higher Education at HRC with Foundation Degrees
- Progress to a Degree course in Accounting, Business, Law, Finance, Marketing or HR
- Employment in the business sector
- Progress to an apprenticeship
What will I be doing?
Over the course of two years you will study 13 different units. The 7 mandatory units are:
- Exploring business
- Developing a marketing campaign
- Personal and business finance
- Managing an event
- International business
- Principles of management
- Business decision making
plus any of the following optional units:
- Recruitment and selection process
- Management accounting
- Investigating retail business
- Visual merchandising
- Creative promotion
- The English legal system
- The aspects of civil law affecting business
- Aspects of criminal law
- Course related visits and trips
- Guest speakers from the world of business
- Participation in charity and fund raising events within the College
- Dragons Den presentation to local businesses
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is continuous throughout the two-year course. You will be assessed on different assignments, tasks and written exams.
- At least 200 GCSE grade points with a minimum of 5 GCSEs including Grade 5 in English (Literature or Language) and Grade 4 in maths
- A Level 2 qualification such as BTEC First Diploma or Technical Certificate (at Merit level or above) together with Grade 5 in English (Literature or Language) and Grade 4 in maths
You will need to successfully complete Year 1 and have a satisfactory reference from your tutor to gain entry to Year 2.
You will be required to come to college with an attitude that reflects your aspiration to develop and maintain a professional approach to your studies and improve your employability skills.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
Full Award Points
What do I need to bring?
You will need to provide stationery: a USB memory stick and BTEC Business Level 3 books (1 and 2). Your tutor will provide details on enrolment.
If you think you would benefit from financial support we have bursary options available for those who meet the criteria. Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is subject to availability at the time of application.
Free to those under 19 on 31 August 2019.
If you are 19 or over on 31 August 2019, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee-paying new entrant, you will pay approximately £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
Fee-paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £8500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
You will also be required to pay a materials fee of approximately £50 payable on enrolment.