All businesses need enterprising employees to drive their organisations forward, to have ideas and initiatives to instigate growth and to ensure that businesses survive in this fast changing world. This business qualification will give you the opportunity to develop your skills in an exciting and challenging environment. This will provide a fantastic progression pathway into a number of roles in an organisation, which are transferable into all businesses.
As well as moving on into the workplace you could choose to progress on to a Level 3 National Diploma qualification in Business if you have obtained Merit or Distinction grade or Level 3 City and Guilds in Business. Alternatively you can progress to an apprenticeship within the world of business.
What makes Business at HRC special?
- You will work on live briefs from employers
- You will partner with charities through projects, to help support your local community
- You will work in independent groups to organise and execute projects and business plans
- You will be taught by lecturers experienced in the Business industry, who can share the tips and tricks of the trade with you
- You will have the opportunity to develop your business pitching skills in a realistic environment
What do our students say?
"The course was broad enough to help me get a taste of all the different areas in Business, and to help me decide what I want to do in the future"
"I liked working with my classmates to write business plans and pitch ideas to the class. It gave me an idea what it would actually be like to work in this industry"
- Business Advisor
- Project Manager
- Data Analyst
- Business Owner
- Business Development Manager
What can I do next?
- Progress to Level 3 qualifications, for example, BTEC Extended Diploma in Business/Level 3 City & Guilds in Business
- Enter employment in the business sector
- Progress to an apprenticeship
What will I be doing?
You will cover the following units:
- Business Environment
- Finance for Business
- Promoting a Brand
- Principles of Marketing
- Business online
- Small Business Planning
You will also complete:
- Functional Skills English and maths for students who have achieved lower than D in GCSE maths and English
- If you have achieved a GCSE grade 3 in English or maths, you will need to work towards Grade 4 in both subjects
- 60 hours work experience (2 consecutive weeks)
- Course related visits and trips
- Guest speakers from the world of business
- Participation in charity and fund raising events within the College
- Dragons Den presentation to local businesses
How will I be assessed?
Units 2 and 9 are assessed by an external exam. Units 3, 10 and 14 are assessed by assignment which are graded at pass, merit or distinction
At least 136 GCSE grade points. This should include English and maths at Grade 3 or higher or Functional Skills Level 1 in English and maths. Alternatively, if you have successfully completed a full Level 1 Diploma qualification and have English and maths at Grade 3 or Functional Skills Level 1 in English and maths you will be considered for a place on the course.
You will be required to come to college with an attitude that reflects your aspiration to develop and maintain a professional approach to your studies and improve your employability skills.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
Full Award Points
What do I need to bring?
You will need a selection of note-taking items, including a USB memory stick, pens and a notepad. You will also need a text book; your tutor will advise you further on enrolment.
If you think you would benefit from financial support we have bursary options available for those who meet the criteria. Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is subject to availability at the time of application.
Free to Home students under 19 on 31 August 2023.
If you are a Home student aged 19 or over on 31 August 2023, you may be liable to pay approximately £2,500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5,000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the tuition fees for 2022/2023 and could be subject to change for 2023/2024).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free tuition if the course you choose is on a government-approved list and the qualification is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
If you are aged over 24 and you have not achieved a full Level 3 qualification you may be entitled to free tuition if the qualification is listed on the Government Free courses for jobs list. Similarly, if you already hold a Level 3 qualification (or above) and meet the Adult Education Budgets definition of unemployed or are in receipt of low wage, you may also be entitled to free tuition.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2022-23 costs and may be subject to change
You will also be required to pay a materials fee of approximately £50.