The Creative Industries contributed £101.5bn to the UK economy in 2017, accounting for 5.5% of UK Gross Value Added (GVA).
Level 1 students can choose from a wide range of subjects to specialise in for further study towards a career. You will develop a range of study skills including English and Maths qualifications, as well as building a portfolio of work to prepare them for progression to Level 2 study in either the art or design area of their choice, or alternative subject areas in other departments.
Throughout the year, you will;
- Visit the Gallery and studios of an International artist.
- Travel to either London or Cambridge to view current exhibitions
- Undertake live briefs wherever possible including creating T-shirts for our Pop Up Shop and designing posters for local events
- Use specialist studios for Textiles, 3D Design, Printmaking and Photography
- Put up an exhibition at the end of the year that the public will be invited to view
- Your last project will allow you to develop your work, around a theme, in a specialism of your choice
Artist or Designer within Fashion, 3D Design, Visual Merchandising, Graphic Design , Animation, Photography or another Creative Field.
What can I do next?
Once you have successfully completed this course you will have gained a nationally recognised qualification, developed your personal skills and have opportunities to progress onto the Level 2 Diploma in Art & Design or Level 2 Diploma in Media.
What will I be doing?
- Explore 2D and 3D visual communication and ways of working through art and design project work
- Improve visual research and study skills in preparation for progression to further study
- Develop an individual career plan towards working in the creative industries
- Gain confidence and teamwork skills to enhance communication and fulfil potential
- Create an individualised portfolio of work appropriate to the area of progression
- Develop appropriate skills/qualifications in English and Maths
- Supports progression to Level 2 art and design course or an apprenticeship
- Specialist group and individual learning support with an emphasis on diversity and different ways of learning
- Development of study skills and core skills in Maths and English
- Enrichment programme of visits including London art galleries and major exhibitions of art and design work to broaden knowledge of creative practise
- Employer engagement including live briefs, working with local museums, theatres and resident artists and a programme of visiting speakers, including student alumni and practitioners, from the creative sector.
- Encourage learners to gain confidence in realising their potential in their chosen field and contribute to professional exhibitions, competition and showcases
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through working on practical assignments, producing a range of products and sketchbooks. Functional skills are assessed through portfolio and one of the units will be externally assessed.
You will need;
What do I need to bring?
You will be required to purchase a course kit at approximately £110, a kit list will be provided, this will give you everything you need for the first term at college but you should expect to replace paints, sketchbooks and some materials as you progress on the course. £50 is payable on enrolment as a contribution towards the cost of study trips and additional specialist materials.
"Fun and helped me produce other art techniques"
"To develop skills further and for the future"
"Helped me design and plan for the next final piece and for the Level 2 course"