UCAS Code: N820
Institution Code: HERTS H37
Campus Code: W
The HND in Stadium and Event Management is a 2 year programme run by Hertford Regional College (HRC) in partnership with the Tottenham Hotspur Foundation. The programme is designed to develop industry standard skills in event management with specific focus on large stadium events.
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Stadium and venue management
- Food and beverage management
- Cruises and resort management
- Spa and wellness management
- Restaurant and bar management
- Starting their own business
Students also go on to work in the following industries:
- Concerts, festivals and exhibitions
- Banquet and conferences
- Product launches
- Charity and fundraising
- Wedding co-ordination
- Amusement parks
- Community events
What can I do next?
This course enables students to pursue a career in several fields including stadium management, sports and event management, box office presentations, venue and event marketing, food and beverage, and corporate sales. On completion you may choose to top up to an honours degree course at university or go straight into employment.
What will I be doing?
This course is a blend of classroom learning in world class facilities at our Ware campus and at Tottenham Hotspur new stadium.
Students can also benefit from opportunities for deeper learning, where they are able to make connections between units and select areas of interest for detailed study. Learners can therefore develop knowledge and academic study skills required for progression to university degree courses, including:
- Active research skills
- Effective writing skills
- Analytical skills
- Critical thinking
- Creative problem solving
- Decision making
- Team building
- Exam preparation skills
- Digital literacy
- Competence in assessment methods used in higher education
Course content and structure:
- Introduction to work placement
- The event industry
- Introduction to stadium and event management
- Customer service
- Crowd and risk management
- Events and society
- Principles of marketing and communication
- Principles of operations management
- Development of professional skills
- Practical project
- Financial management
- Brand management
As a HND student at Hertford Regional College you have the fantastic opportunity to engage in a range of different activities to support your studies. These include:
- Trips and visits to event spaces and venues e.g visiting the O2 and Olympia London
- Guest lecturers and networking with industry professionals. In previous years these have included James Manning (Shack Events) Alex Stynes (JT Event Truck Ltd) and Peter Swordy (Director of Health, Safety and Compliance at the London Stadium)
- International Trips e.g. New York and Krakow
How will I be assessed?
Higher Nationals allow for a variety of forms of assessment evidence. Learners will need to carry out research and analysis and demonstrate practical skills.
Below are some examples used as a form of assessment:
- Written reports, essays
- In class tests
- Creation of documents
- Work based projects
- PowerPoint (or similar) presentations
- Working logbooks, reflective journals
- 48 UCAS points from a level 3 subject in Events Management or relevant subject
- For mature students you can apply if you have obtained industry experience
- 18 years of age by the 1st September for the year you are applying for
- Recommended grade 4 or C or above in English and Maths (if you have attained lower an opportunity for you to re-sit in adult classes is available).
What do I need to bring?
To engage in the full experience of being a HND student you will need to, have a valid passport that will enable you to attend international locations.
As a university student you can apply for Student Finance England to support you to cover the costs of tuition and maintenance fees. Our current tuition rate is £6,165 (academic year 2018/2019). Tuition loans from Student Finance are paid directly to the college and maintenance loans are paid to you termly to support your everyday costs of accommodation, travel and leisure.To find out more about funding visit: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login
HOW IS STUDYING A HND SIMILAR TO UNIVERSITY?
A HND is equal to the first two years of university degree, this means you can top-up your HND with one year of university study to achieve a full degree. It is how a HND is different to university study that makes them so unique. Compared on average to university centres you will:
- Have more hours of contact on a HND with tutors and specialists, currently it is 10 hours per week compared a much lower number at university.
- You will have a comprehensively devised timetable that ensures your timetable is compressed so that you do not have hours between classes and will be in classes around two days per week.
- You will be a part of a focused team in smaller classes rather than a number of a large group.
- You will pay considerable amount less in tuition fees for the same level of academic engagement. See above link in fees section.
- You will have a lot of opportunity to focus your study within your units to create work that interests you.
HOW DO I APPLY
The best way to apply is via UCAS using the course UCAS code: N820 / Institution Code: H37