UCAS Code: HEM1
Institution Code: HERTS H37
Campus Code: B
The HND in Hospitality and Event Management is a 2 year programme designed to develop industry standard skills in the fast paced, diverse and exciting events industry. The course offers a mix of classroom learning, trips and visits, and work experience.
Covid-19 has had a devastating effect on many industries including the hospitality sector. As we are now emerging from the lockdowns the general public are desperate to attend events and visit hospitality venues. We predict a huge surge in demand for all kinds of events and our level 3 and HND Events programmes will give you the skills and experience to join this fantastic industry!
What makes Event Management at HRC special?
- You will be given opportunities to plan, organise and deliver events within the community and beyond
- You will have the opportunity to go on some fantastic trips and see behind the scenes at events
- You will work with lecturers who have years of experience in the industry who can guide you throughout the course
What do our students say?
Prior to the HE course, Sharon had been 'working in events for the last 10 years'.
''I was enrolling my nephew on his course and saw the details of the Event Management course.'' After finishing school in the late 80s's this was a great new and exciting challenge for Sharon to help her thrive and push forward her career. She claims ''it was a case of me being able to back up my experience with a qualification.''
Academic writing was new to me and is something I am still trying to master. ''This is a challenge that Sharon faced when first starting out on her new course, however the course covers a variety of aspects to help her overcome these challenges.
She believes HRC is a great place to study and would recommend the college to anyone considering this course.
What can I do next?
This course enables students to pursue a career in several fields including stadium and venue management, sports and event management, hospitality and tourism / attractions related management.
On completion of the course you may choose to top up to an honours degree at university or go straight into employment.
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Stadium Floor Manager
- Festival Organiser
- Event Manager
- Venue Manager
- Hotel Manager
- Activities and Event Planner
- Event Operations Planner
- Exhibition Co-Ordinator
- Field Events Manager
- Campaign and Event Co-ordinator
- Director of Special Events
- Tourism Promotion Manager
- Resorts Operations Manager
- Field Sports Manager
- Game Day Staff
What will I be doing?
This course is a blend of classroom learning in world-class facilities at our Broxbourne campus and challenging work placement opportunities. The course offers you a unique chance to gain unrivalled work experience in a variety of roles and areas in the events industry. We work with employer partners to offer work experience including:
- Comic Con (customer facing role at a major event)
- Tottenham Hotspur Football Stadium (working in Premium areas on major event days - paid)
- Evolve Hospitality (working at major events - paid)
- Birch (working with the events team and in customer facing roles)
- Ware Dickensian Evening (assisting with planning and delivery of this major event)
- Ware community projects (assisting with planning and delivery of community events)
- East Herts Active (assisting with planning and delivery of community events)
Many previous learners have been offered paid work upon completion of these placements.
Students can also benefit from opportunities for deeper learning, where they are able to make connections between units and select areas of interest for detailed study. Learners can therefore develop knowledge and academic study skills required for progression to university degree courses, including:
- Active research skills
- Effective writing skills
- Analytical skills
- Critical thinking
- Creative problem solving
- Decision making
- Team building
- Exam preparation skills
- Digital literacy
- Competence in assessment methods used in higher education
Course content and structure:
- The contemporary hospitality industry
- Managing the customer experience
- Professional identity and practice
- The hospitality business toolkit
- Leadership and management for service industries
- Managing food and beverage operations
- Managing conference and events
- Work experience
- Research project
- Hospitality consumer behaviour and insight
- Managing and planning an event
- Global events
- Hospitality brand management
- Concepts and innovation in hospitality
As a HND student at Hertford Regional College you have the fantastic opportunity to engage in a range of different activities to support your studies. These include:
- Trips and visits to event spaces and venues
- Guest lectures and networking with industry professionals
- International trips
- Work experience opportunities
How will I be assessed?
Higher Nationals allow for a variety of forms of assessment evidence. Learners will need to carry out research and analysis and demonstrate practical skills.
Below are some examples used as a form of assessment:
- Written reports, essays
- In class tests
- Creation of documents
- Work based projects
- Power point (or similar) presentations
- Working logbooks, reflective journals
To take on this course you will need:
- 48 UCAS points from a level 3 subject in Event Management or relevant subject
- For mature students you can apply if you have obtained industry experience
- 18 years of age by the 1st September for the year you are applying for
- Recommended grade 4 or C or above in English or Maths (if you have attained an opportunity for you to re-sit in adult classes is available).
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
Applications to our full-time undergraduate courses can be made through UCAS. If you haven't started a UCAS application yet, and only want to apply to Hertford Regional College, you can apply directly to us using our direct application form and we will process a UCAS application on your behalf.
What do I need to bring?
You will need a selection of note-taking resources, depending on your preferred learning method. This could include notepads, pens and pencils, a laptop or tablet is recommended.
You will also need a valid passport so that you can join us on international trips. You will be required to contribute a cost towards these trips.
As an Event Management student you will be required to work occasional evenings and/or weekends.
As a University student you can apply for Student Finance to support you to cover the costs of tuition and maintenance fees.
Our current tuition rate is £6,165, tuition loans from Student Finance are paid directly to the college and maintenance loans are paid to you termly to support your everyday costs of accommodation, travel and leisure.
To find out more about funding visit: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance
There may be opportunities for trips and visits organised, these will be at an additional charge for the students.
These fees are indicative of the 2021-22 costs and may be subject to change