This technical certificate is designed to further broaden your knowledge of Food Preparation and Service skills e.g. filleting fish, making fresh dough products and pastry whilst serving in our modern restaurant. It will help you to understand the principles of cookery and service such as, 'what makes bread rise?' You will learn how to plan, prepare, cook and present a wide variety of dishes whilst working in our professional kitchen.
What makes Professional Cookery and Hospitality Services at HRC special?
- The college is unique in that it has its own training restaurant (The Atrium) open to the public and with a 5* TripAdvisor rating and an AA rosette.
- This gives the students the opportunity to work in a 'live' environment whilst learning and helps to broaden their curriculum vitaes.
- The college has strong links with local employers and suppliers such McMullens, Amwell Fruit and Gannon's Butchers which has given our students further work based opportunities through our enrichment programme.
- Students have progressed from HRC to part-time and full time work in well-known pubs and restaurants.
What do our students say?
"The course is great! Since starting the course, I have learnt so many new skills, I love cooking and serving in our restaurant the Atrium which is 5* on TripAdvisor. Also on the course you get an opportunity to attend trips to a wide selection of industry-based venues. These have included the food hall at Westfield Stratford and the London Stadium where the caterers, Delaware North, gave us a full tour of their facilities, including a behind the scenes look at The Ritz Hotel, Royal Automobile Club and the Houses of Parliament. As part of the course we must complete work experience and we get an opportunity to complete this with employers such as McMullens, The Ritz Hotel and the Shangri-la at The Shard."
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Food and beverage service
- Kitchen porter
- Restaurant Manager
- Restaurant Owner
- Catering Manager
- Pop-Up Event Caterers
- Catering around the world e.g. cruise ships, ski chalet hosting
- Contract catering
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this course, you can choose to:
- Progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cook
- Intermediate apprenticeship
- Apply for jobs in the Hospitality and Catering industry
What will I be doing?
- Professional Cookery Technical Certificate Level 2 which allows you to learn specific skills to include knife, butchery and fishmongery as well as cooking methods such as braising, roasting and frying. You will also learn about food hygiene and health and safety.
- Bakery and Patisserie work by catering for specific events within the College and the wider community e.g afternoon teas, marketing events and open evenings, food market stalls and a Christmas lunch at a residential home
- Food and beverage service in our highly acclaimed Atrium Restaurant which enable students to practice skills such as customer service, cocktail making and gain barista training.
As well as work placements being an integral part of the course, there will be opportunities to:
- Attend classes with visiting speakers
- Go on trips to Exhibitions
- Attend Employer Workshops
- Enter competitions e.g. HRC Patisserie, People's First Restaurant of the Year and Cook South Africa
- Take part in industry visits relating to the course
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by one final three hour practical exam and two paper based exams. In our realistic working environment, the assessments will be planned and practised throughout the year with your tutor.
To take on this course you will need:
- A minimum of 160 GCSE entry points, including maths or English at Grade 3/D or equivalent.
- Please be aware that due to the nature of the industry there will limitations on jewellery and make up worn in the practical areas.
- The outcome of your initial diagnostic assessment will also be taken into consideration when offering you a programme of study.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
- You will have to pay for your uniform, knives and a textbook at an approximate cost of £200.00 direct from the supplier (details of which will be available on enrolment)
- You will also need to pay for and bring your own personal stationery included equipment for English and maths
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2021.
If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2021, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay approx. £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £5500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2020/21 and could be subject to change for 2021/22).
Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £3500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2020/21 and could be subject to change for 2021/22).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2021-22 costs and may be subject to change