The Certificate is designed to teach you the basic craft skills of Food Preparation and Service e.g. roasting whole poultry and serving in our modern restaurant. It will help you to understand the principles of cookery and service, such as, 'why does starch thicken a sauce?' You will learn how to plan, prepare, cook and present a wide variety of dishes as if you were in a professional kitchen.
What makes Culinary Skills and Hospitality Services at HRC special?
- The college is unique in that it has its own training restaurant (The Atrium) open to the public and with a 5* TripAdvisor rating and an AA rosette.
- This gives the students the opportunity to work in a 'live' environment whilst learning and helps to broaden their curriculum vitaes.
- The college has strong links with local employers and suppliers such McMullens, Amwell Fruit and Gannon's Butchers which has given our students further work based opportunities through our enrichment programme.
- Students have progressed from HRC to part-time and full time work in well-known pubs and restaurants.
What do our students say?
"The course is great! Since starting the course, I have learnt so many new skills, I love cooking and serving in our restaurant the Atrium which is 5* on TripAdvisor. Also on the course you get an opportunity to attend trips to a wide selection of industry-based venues. These have included the food hall at Westfield Stratford and the London Stadium where the caterers, Delaware North, gave us a full tour of their facilities, including a behind the scenes look at The Ritz Hotel, Royal Automobile Club and the Houses of Parliament. As part of the course we must complete work experience and we get an opportunity to complete this with employers such as McMullens, The Ritz Hotel and the Shangri-la at The Shard."
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Food and beverage service
- Kitchen porter
- Restaurant Manager
- Restaurant Owner
- Catering Manager
- Pop-Up Event Caterers
- Catering around the world e.g. cruise ships, ski chalet hosting
- Contract catering
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this course, you can choose to:
- Progress on to the Level 2 Diploma or technical certificate in Professional Cookery
- Intermediate apprenticeship
- Apply for jobs in the Hospitality & Catering industry
What will I be doing?
- Professional Cookery Technical Certificate Level 2 which allows you to learn specific skills to include knife, butchery and fishmongery as well as cooking methods such as braising, roasting and frying. You will also learn about food hygiene and health and safety.
- Bakery and Patisserie work by catering for specific events within the College and the wider community e.g afternoon teas, marketing events and open evenings, food market stalls and a Christmas lunch at a residential home
- Food and beverage service in our highly acclaimed Atrium Restaurant which enable students to practice skills such as customer service, cocktail making and gain barista training.
As well as work placements being an integral part of the course, there will be opportunities to:
- Attend classes with visiting speakers
- Go on trips to Exhibitions
- Attend Employer Workshops
- Enter competitions
- Take part in industry visits relating to the course
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed using a portfolio in our realistic working environment, the assessments will be planned throughout the year with your tutor. All practical assessments are backed up with short answer test papers.
To take on this course you will need:
- You will need a minimum of 32 GCSE entry points, including maths or English at Grade 1 or equivalent.
- Please be aware that due to the nature of the industry there will limitations on jewellery and make up worn in the practical areas.
- The outcome of your initial diagnostic assessment will also be taken into consideration when offering you a programme of study.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
- You will have to pay for your uniform, knives and a textbook at an approximate cost of £200.00 direct from the supplier (details of which will be available upon enrolment)
- You will also need to pay for and bring your own personal stationery included equipment for English and maths
Free to Home students under 19 on 31st August 2023.
If you are a Home student aged 19 or over on the 31st August 2023, you may be liable to pay approximately £2,500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5,000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the tuition fees for 2022/2023 and could be subject to change for 2023/2024).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free tuition if the course you choose is on a government-approved list and the qualification is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
If you are aged over 24 and you have not achieved a full Level 3 qualification you may be entitled to free tuition if the qualification is listed on the Government Free courses for jobs list. Similarly, if you already hold a Level 3 qualification (or above) and meet the Adult Education Budgets definition of unemployed or are in receipt of low wage, you may also be entitled to free tuition.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2021-22 costs and may be subject to change