A career in Health and Social Care can be very rewarding, and can introduce you to opportunities where you are able to work with and support some of the most vulnerable individuals in our communities. This course will give you a good understanding of what skills and knowledge are needed to be successful in a career in the Health and Social Care sector.
What makes Health and Social Care at HRC special?
- You will be taught by lecturers who have a real passion for this sector
- Our lecturers have lots of experience in Health and Social Care, making them the best team to support you through your course
- You will complete work experience designed to help you understand the realities of a career in this sector
- You will meet different employers during your course, with whom you can network
- You will contribute to fund-raising activities that will support your local communities
What do our students say?
"I started HRC with a low self-esteem and uncertainty about my future. Then, at college doing a Health and Social Care course, I began to find some confidence, started building positive relationships with people and I gained some valuable work experience which I can now put on my CV. I was supported at college and had the opportunity to learn about subjects that interested me"
"I found this course so helpful in getting a head start. I wasn't very confident in my skills before I started, but the tutors have been so supportive and now I'm ready to take on an Apprenticeship"
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Care Worker
- Social Worker
- Community Support and Outreach Worker
- Charity Worker
- Day Care Assistant
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this course, you can choose to:
- Take on a new course with us, including:
- CACHE Certificate in Preparing to Work in Early Years Education and Care - Level 3
- Health and Social Care Diploma - Level 3
- An Advanced Apprenticeship in Health and Social Care or Early Years Education
- Enter into employment in this industry
- Early Years Foundation Degree - Level 4/5
What will I be doing?
You will be introduced to a range of social care and childcare settings designed to begin developing your understanding of this sector.
This course consists of units that will cover anatomy and physiology, dementia care, infection control and sociology, plus many more.
You will also be given work placements in appropriate settings to begin building your practical experiences.
You will have the opportunity to take part in lots of different trips, visits and events. The teaching team are also very dedicated to supporting the service users and companies who support our students by providing work placements.
This means you will have the chance to work on fund-raising events and parties, including the annual end-of-year 'thank you' party for all local service users who engage with the college.
How will I be assessed?
Due to the changing needs of the sector you will be assessed using a range of methods including; external and internal assessments and through performance in your work placements. These will be ongoing throughout your learning experience as will help with your personal and professional development.
To take on this course you will need:
- At least 200 GCSE points
- GCSE Grade 4/C in English and maths plus three other GCSE subjects at Grade 4/c or above OR a Merit at Level 2 plus English and maths at Grade 4/C or above
- A successful Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
- To demonstrate your suitability to work with children and adults, including showing empathy, and an interest in helping others, along with good communication and interpersonal skills
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
You will be required to contribute a cost towards trips, as well as purchasing a text book, polo shirt and a DBS certificate.
You will also need to bring appropriate note-taking items with you, including a notepad, pen and pencil.
If you think you would benefit from financial support we have bursary options available for those who meet the criteria. Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is subject to availability at the time of application.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2021.
If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2021, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay approx. £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £5500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2020/21 and could be subject to change for 2021/22).
Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £3500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2020/21 and could be subject to change for 2021/22).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2021-22 costs and may be subject to change