Painters and Decorators are always in demand across the UK. The trade offers a wide variety of different types of work. These include domestic, commercial, or industrial work. A decorator can work for a company or be self-employed.
This diploma course is designed for learners who want to develop practical skills and trade knowledge, so they can work as a Painter and Decorator in the construction sector. Level 1 is the first step on that journey.
What makes Construction at HRC special?
- We are proud to have a 92% pass rate (2017-18) in Construction
Our workshops are the perfect place to build your skills. Practical painting and decorating tasks are carried out in realistic painting and decorating section
- Our lecturers are passionate about their trade and want to share that passion with you
- We have the latest technology and tools ready for you to use, and you'll learn about new practices at conferences and events
- You will have guest speakers from local employers as well live briefs to help boost your CV
- You have access to an Industry Placement coach who will guide you in sourcing your 5 day industry placement.
What do our students say?
"I really enjoy learning in the construction block because I get to meet some new and interesting people. Also I have a good relationship with my fellow peers and my teachers".
"I am enjoying my course at HRC and feel like I am progressing well"
Painter and Decorator
CEOs of small Construction companies - self employed
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this programme, you can choose to:
* Progress on to Level 2 Painting and Decorating
* Apply for an Apprenticeship in Painting and Decorating
* Enter into employment in the Construction Industry
What will I be doing?
This Painting and Decorating programme gives you the opportunity to learn about a wide range of topics. You will have practical and theoretical training, to make sure you have the right level of understanding to help you be successful in the assessments.
This programme is broken down into seven units:
- Preparing surfaces for decoration
- Applying paint systems by brush and roller to a range of surfaces
- Applying foundation and plain papers
- Producing specialist decorative finishes
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Erecting and dismantling access equipment and working platforms
You will also build your work experience with local employers through a 5-day industry placement, which will give your CV a boost. In the past our students have worked for:
- Southern Maltings Development
- Travis Perkins
- Lea Valley
- Ware Local Council
In Construction, getting outside the classroom helps you stay up-to-date on the latest techniques and technologies. That's why we make sure our students do just that, taking part in trips, events, conferences and competitions.
Trips we have attended this academic year:
- The Home Building and Renovation Show - London ExCeL
- BRE Innovation Park - Watford
- Grand Designs Live - London ExCeL
- Optional celebration trip to Thorpe Park
We also invite employers and local Construction business in to deliver guest speeches about the industry.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a mixture of practical assignment and multiple choice question paper
To apply for this programme you will need:
- A selection of GCSEs in Grades 2-1/E-G
- Entry Level 3 in English and maths
- A willingness to work towards achieving a Level 1 in English or maths if not already achieved
- An interest in the Construction industry
- A satisfactory character reference
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
You will need to supply your own safety boots and stationery. Trips will be organised throughout the year and may incur a cost.
Free to those under 19 on 31 August 2019.
If you are 19 or over on 31 August 2019, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay approx. £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £5500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £8500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2019-20 costs and may be subject to change