Science helps our understanding of the world around us. Everything we know about the universe, from how trees reproduce to what an atom is made up of, is the result of scientific research and experiment.
It involves generating and testing ideas, gathering evidence - including making observations, carrying out investigations and modelling, and communicating and debating with others - in order to develop scientific knowledge, understanding, and explanations. Scientific progress comes from logical, systematic work and from creative insight, built on a foundation of respect for evidence.
Human progress throughout history has largely rested on advances in science. From our knowledge of gravity to cutting-edge medicines, students of Science have shaped our modern world.
What makes Science at HRC special?
- We have invested in new modern laboratories
- Our programme will enable you to plan, design and monitor projects independently
- Our Science programmes build the skills you need to have in a variety of workplaces
- Industry trained and experienced lecturers will nurture your ambition and share their expertise with you
What do our students say?
"My tutors are really nice and are as helpful as possible."
"The programme gives you a range of practical skills; problem solving and communication with peers and staff."
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Lab Technicians
- Veterinary careers
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this programme, you can choose to:
- Apply for our BTEC Extended Diploma (Yr1 90 Credit)
- Enter into employment as a trainee in this industry
- Apply for an Apprenticeship
What will I be doing?
- This programme includes a mixture of practical and applied theory work. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. In addition you will develop the skills you need to start a career in the field of Science and an opportunity to utilise these via industry placements.
There are lots of perks to this programme:
- You will get the chance to experience the industry first hand through a work placement with a local employer
- You can work with students from other courses on independent projects and activities
- You can enjoy relevant trips, visits and meet guest speakers and employers
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through practical assessments including work-related projects. You will also be set assignments to cover theory units.
To apply for this programme you will need:
- A minimum of GSCE Grade 3/D or Entry 1 Functional Skills in both English and maths) and be able to demonstrate literacy skills at GCSE level.
- Demonstrate a keen interest in the field of science through interview
- We also welcome applications from students with relevant experience or qualifications.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
You must provide your own stationery equipment i.e. pens, pencils, notebooks, folders for notes.
You may be asked to buy a recommended text book during your course; details of this will be provided by your assigned tutor.
If you think you would benefit from financial support we have bursary options available for those who meet the criteria. Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is subject to availability at the time of application.
Free to those under 19 on 31 August 2019.
If you are 19 or over on 31 August 2019, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay approx. £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £5500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £8500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2019-20 costs and may be subject to change