It pays to train for a career in engineering: there are over 55,000 unfulfilled engineering jobs per year in the UK. This means salaries for well qualified and experienced engineers can be very high. Did you know that the majority of engineering careers start at a salary of £20,000 and can go up to a salary of £100,000?
Engineering is challenging and exciting. Engineers use models provided by science combined with innovative thinking to solve problems and create new designs for the benefit of everyday life. For example, it involves engineering to:
- protect the world's natural resources and enable them to be used more efficiently
- design and build safer, faster, quieter, more fuel-efficient vehicles
- create smaller smartphones that are easier to use
"Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been " - Albert Einstein
What makes Engineering at HRC special?
- We have well equipped workshops and specialist classrooms in which you can develop your talent
- Our programmes will enable you to plan, design and monitor projects independently
- Our Engineering programmes build the skills you need to have in the workplace
- Hertfordshire has a large volume of engineering employers, meaning opportunities for work placements are never too far away
- Industry trained and experienced lecturers will nurture your ambition and share their expertise with you
What do our students say?
"The programme gives you a range of practical skills; problem solving and communication with peers and staff."
"Really give it a good look. It's a great way to explore an industry, expand your skills and see where you want to take yourself in life."
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- CAD Technician
- Contracting Civil Engineer
- Control and Instrumentation Engineer
- Maintenance Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this programme, you can choose to:
- Apply for a degree at a university
- Apply for an Apprenticeship in Engineering
- Enter into employment in this industry
What will I be doing?
We will help you learn a wide range of skills that will support you to work in the Engineering industry, including how to understand the core principles of Engineering, mechanical applications and building your maths skills. This is in addition to learning the industry lingo with units focused on communication, and a work-related project that will give you a taste of what a career in the industry is like.
There are lots of perks to this course:
- You will get the chance to experience the industry first hand through a work placement with a local employer
- You can work with students from other departments on independent projects and activities
- You can enjoy relevant trips, visits and meet guest speakers and employers
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through practical assignments including a work-related project. You will also be set assignments to cover theory units.
To apply for this course you will need:
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs including maths, English and science at Grades 9-4/A-C or a BTEC at Merit grade or above, plus 4 other GCSEs at A- C including maths and English.
- To demonstrate your interest in Engineering through interview
We also welcome applications from students with relevant experience or qualifications.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
You may be asked to buy a recommended text book during your course; details of this will be provided by your assigned tutor.
If you think you would benefit from financial support we have bursary options available for those who meet the criteria. Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is subject to availability at the time of application.
Free to those under 19 on 31 August 2019.
If you are 19 or over on 31 August 2019, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay approx. £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £5500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £8500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.