This course is an introduction to many different skills for those who want to explore their interest and gain experience in one or more of the following subjects: Music, Media, Performing and Production Arts. The course is designed as a pathway towards higher level study in any one of these areas, and can be a first step towards a career in the creative industries, a growing sector that is worth £10 million an hour in the UK. With the planned £700 million Sunset Studios only a few miles from the Broxbourne campus, HRC is perfectly placed to develop the next generation of filmmakers, producers and creatives.
- As a Music, Media, Performing and Production Arts student, you'll have an opportunity to gain some work experience being involved with working on live briefs.
- Our students are exposed to a variety of production environments including external locations.
- You will experience both the planning and production across a range of music performance and production projects.
- HRC students are well-known for producing a high standard of work, which meet the requirements of industry.
- We are proud to be in the top 10 colleges for student achievement in Creative Arts for learners aged 16 to 18 in the past 2 years.
- Theatre Lighting or Sound technician
- Camera Operator
- Video or Audio Editor
- Image Editor/Photographer
- TV/Film Director
- TV/Film Producer
- Location Scout
- Content Creator
- Production Runner
- Sound Mixer
- Marketing Manager
- Talent Manager
What can I do next?
On successful completion of your Level 1 you can progress on to a Level 2 course. This can be in Media, Music, Performing or Production Arts, or another subject area.
What will I be doing?
- Learn to produce music in a professional recording studio
- Learn to shoot and edit video footage using professional cameras and software on Apple Mac computers
- Learn about staging performances including lighting and technical support
- Project-based learning that combines all of the above skills into single assignments
- Develop your teamwork and communication skills
There will be educational trips and enrichment activities relating to your study area. You'll have the opportunity to book equipment for independent projects.
How will I be assessed?
Producing coursework assignments, both as a part of groups and individually
You will have an interest in one or more of the creative subjects: Media, Music and/or Performing Arts. This could include an interest in any of the following: film-making, video recording, video editing, music performance, music production, acting, dance, technical sound and lighting.
This course is potentially a stepping stone on to further study of a specific subject at Level 2 and beyond.
What do I need to bring?
There is a small cost for essential course equipment, and for optional trips that take place during the year. The cost for equipment is not expected to exceed £90, and financial support is available if required.
Free to Home students under 19 on 31st August 2023.
If you are a Home student aged 19 or over on the 31st August 2023, you may be liable to pay approximately £2,500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5,000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the tuition fees for 2022/2023 and could be subject to change for 2023/2024).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free tuition if the course you choose is on a government-approved list and the qualification is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
If you are aged over 24 and you have not achieved a full Level 3 qualification you may be entitled to free tuition if the qualification is listed on the Government Free courses for jobs list. Similarly, if you already hold a Level 3 qualification (or above) and meet the Adult Education Budgets definition of unemployed or are in receipt of low wage, you may also be entitled to free tuition.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2022-23 costs and may be subject to change