Learn skills in performance and production with industry-grade equipment, software and spaces. Your classrooms at the Broxbourne campus consist of Mac Suite, rehearsal spaces, production and recording studios, to enable you to hone your skills in performance, recording and production. You'll develop the necessary collaborative skills to enable you to gain a good grasp on the requirements for industry in different areas of the sector.
What Makes Music Performance and Production at HRC special?
- As a Music Performance and Production student, you'll gain vital work-related experience including preparing for and involvement in performance and production at college gigs and local events.
- Our Music Performance and Production students regularly collaborate with each other in project groups and across other subjects.
- Dedicated performance and production teaching and learning spaces
- We are proud to be in the Top 25 colleges for student achievement in Performing Arts for learners aged 16 to 18 (2018)
What do our students say?
"I like the facilities - using two studios and being able to record my music."
"Extremely realistic to the music industry."
"I learnt a lot; it helped me to produce my EP"
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Session Musician
- Studio Engineer
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this course you can choose to:
- Take on our Music Higher National Diploma
- Apply for a degree at a university (after successful completion of a second year)
- Enter into employment in this industry
What will I be doing?
You will participate in classes that will develop and enhance your skills in a variety of areas such as playing an instrument, vocal technique, performing to an audience, studio recording, mixing and mastering audio, song writing and composition, critical song analysis, project research and skills development and group work.
You will gain a greater understanding of the industry allowing you to experience projects such as producing your own website for promotion as a professional, live recording, studio production, college gigs and performances, You will also have the opportunity to experience the production aspects of recording and mixing.
There's lots of perks to this course, including:
- Participating in professional workshops and watching live professional performances both locally and in London
- Opportunity to use the facilities outside of sessions for rehearsal/production if pre-booked
- Instrument and technical tuition where identified
- Learning vital employability skills such as team collaboration and how to present as a professional in the industry.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a mixture of practical performances and coursework which will consist of research, context, reflective blogs and self and peer assessment.
To take on this course you will need:
- 5 GCSEs at Grade 4/C or above or a Level 2 at Merit level
- To attend an interview to assess your skills and interests, bringing an example of your music work such as a video, recording or even perform a short piece
We also welcome applications from students with relevant experience or qualifications.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
There is a small cost for essential course equipment, and for optional trips that take place during the year. The cost for equipment is not expected to exceed £90, and financial support is available if required.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2022.
If you are 19 or over on 31 August 2022, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay approximately £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5500 for a Level 3 qualification.
Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £3500 for a Level 3 qualification.
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, book fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2021-22 costs and may be subject to change