This course will enable you to achieve an industry recognised Active IQ qualification. This intensive Sports Massage course is delivered over 12 weeks and includes aspects of blended learning to support completion. This will mean that, in addition to 100% attendance at College, you will also be expected to study at home.
This course in Sports Massage will enable you to take the first step towards becoming a Massage Therapist or you can add it to your current PT skill set. Sports massage is a form of massage involving the manipulation of soft tissue to benefit a person engaged in regular physical activity. Sports massage is designed to assist in correcting problems and imbalances in soft tissue that are caused from repetitive and strenuous physical activity and trauma. The application of sports massage, prior to and after exercise, may enhance performance, aid recovery and prevent injury.
Students that complete this course can go on become to:
· A Sports Massage Therapist
· Gym instructor
· Personal Trainer in a gym or health club
· Free-lance Personal Trainer
What can I do next?
· Progress on to our level 3 Exercise Referral course which will give you access to specialist area qualifications
· Progress on to our level 3 Sports Massage
· Progress on to our level 3 Pilates or Yoga
What will I be doing?
You will be studying key areas, including:
- To understand the anatomy and physiology required to be able to apply sports massage
- To be able to carry out a range of assessments.
- To be able to collect information relating to the clients current condition and status (including the identification of conditions that would be inappropriate for treatment by someone at this level of qualification)
- To be able to distinguish between acute injury and soft tissue dysfunction
- To be able to recognise when to defer treatment or when to refer to a more qualified massage or healthcare professional.
- To be able to select appropriate massage techniques for a range of clients.
- To be able to apply sports massage techniques safely and effectively, understanding the potential effects
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through:
· A multiple Choice question paper
· Practical observation
· Coursework/portfolio of evidence
- Level 3 Anatomy and Physiology for Exercise and Health (Desirable)
- There is an element of communication involved (discussing, presenting, reading and writing) and learners should have basic skills in communication pitched at level 3.
- Performing sports massage is a physical activity and learners will need to be fit enough to carry this out.
What do I need to bring?
You will need to wear suitable clothing for the practical sessions and will require a pen for the classroom based activities. A manual and portfolio will be provided
The fee for this course is £2250.00
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training, via an Advanced Learner Loan, if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2019-20 costs and may be subject to change