This course will enable you to achieve an industry recognised Active IQ qualification. The course is delivered over 16 weeks and includes aspects of blended learning to support completion. This will mean that, in addition to 100% attendance at College, you will also be expected to study at home
The Diploma in Exercise Referral teaches you to use exercise as a tool, to get client's lives back on track after an illness and improve their wellbeing. With the growing number of referral schemes from GPs, local authorities and the private sector, this specialism is not only high in demand, but highly rewarding and profitable. This course will train you to adapt and deliver exercise and healthy eating programmes for different health conditions. You will become an expert in the exercise referral process, while also learning about the UK health care system.
Students that complete this course can go on to:
· Work directly for exercise referral schemes with Doctors
What can I do next?
· Gain higher level fitness qualifications
· Work directly for Exercise Referral Schemes
What will I be doing?
The course consists of :
· Pathophysiology, treatment, special considerations for:
· Cardiovascular conditions: Atherosclerosis, hypertension, high cholesterol,
· Mobility related conditions: Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, lordosis, kyphosis, scoliosis, spondylosis (spinal arthritis) joint replacement
· Mental health conditions: Anxiety, stress and depression
· Other conditions: obesity, diabetes type 1 & 2, asthma, COPD (chronic bronchitis and emphysema)
· Related exercise benefits and implications
As an Exercise Referral Specialist, it will be your job to advise clients on how to enhance their well-being through a planned programme of exercise and nutrition. Key areas of focus include:
· Collecting information to plan an exercise referral programme
· The principles of risk stratification in exercise referral.
· Current UK healthcare systems and the exercise referral process
· Accepted methods of treatment/management of medical conditions relevant to exercise referral programmes
· How to programme safe, effective exercise programmes for patients with specified exercise referral medical conditions.
· Medication (over counter and prescription) and exercise implications
· Behavioural change and motivational interviewing
· Safe and effective progressive exercise programming
· Setting up and coordinating exercise referral schemes
This is a great qualification to allow you to progress onto specialist level 4 qualifications.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a combination of:
· Home-based workbook study
· Practical assessment
· Controlled assessment
· Written as well as controlled exams
· Completion of a case study
· Completion of portfolio
You are required to be a:
· Qualified Personal Trainer/Pilates or Yoga Teacher
What do I need to bring?
You will need to wear suitable clothing for the practical sessions and will require a pen for the classroom based activities. A manual and portfolio will be provided
The fee for this course is £800.00
f you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training, via an Advanced Learner Loan, if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2019-20 costs and may be subject to change