As part of the course you will learn about teamwork and what makes a good leader, youll go on outdoor expeditions and learn survival skills, youll discover how good your communication skills and decision making powers are. Youll also have a personal fitness development plan to make sure that you can pass a Uniformed Service fitness test. If that isnt enough you will also have visit from serving personnel who can really “tell it as it is. All this, and a qualification too!
What can I do next?
- On successful completion of this level 3 course and obtaining a Merit overall, you will be able to progress onto a second year, the BTEC Diploma in Public Services
- Seek employment in your chosen public service.
What will I be doing?
- This programme has been designed to help you develop the knowledge, understanding and skills required for success in employment in the public services at officer or operative level
- You will be studying 9 units (90 credits in total) including; Government policies, team leadership, physical preparation and understanding discipline
- Participate in theoretical and practical lessons
- Attend a compulsory "Boot Camp" residential trip
Trips, visits and enrichment activities which include vocational guest speakers. There may be additional costs to participate in these activities.
You will also study Functional skills, in either Maths, English or ICT.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed continuously using a range of activities these will include, role plays, presentations, displays, discussions, written reports and case studies.
- You will need a minimum of 200 GCSE entry points including Maths or English at Grade C.
- You can also gain entry with a Level 2 Diploma at Merit level and a minimum GCSE Grade C or equivalent in Maths or English.
- The outcome of your initial diagnostic assessment will also be taken into consideration when offering you a programme of study.
- Tuition fees may apply if you are 19 years or over on August 31st.
What do I need to bring?
- Full sports kit including correct footwear for running and physical activities
- Public Services uniform
- Textbooks, pens and personal stationery
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2019. If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2019, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant, you will pay approx. £1500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £3000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2018/19). Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £1500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £3000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19/17 and could be subject to change for 2018/19). If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable. For these costs please contact our Information Centre.
- Public Services Uniform - £126.00
- Residential Trip - £265.00
- Encrichment - £50.00 (eg paint balling and rock climbing)
Please note that these costs may be subject to change