This highly competitive vocational course will prepare you for your next steps and progression into uniformed public services
What makes Public Services at HRC special?
- Our course will help you get to the maximum of your ability
- You will be supported to develop the skills and attributes required to pass the aptitude test required for uniformed public services
- You will be supported to develop fitness levels required to pass the uniformed public services fitness test
- Students will be prepared to successfully transition into uniformed public services
- You will develop your skills in English and maths in line with industry expectations
- You will develop your interview skills
What do our students say?
"I was impressed with the facilities and I got on well with the staff and teachers."
"I love that the course was hands on and a more practical way of learning."
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Fire Brigade
- Armed Forces
- Prison Service
- Border Forces
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this course and the year two, you can choose to:
- Apply for a Public Services Higher National Diploma
- Apply for a degree at University
- Enter into employment in uniformed public services
What will I be doing?
Over the course of your college week you will be completing a vocational structured training programme with the option to develop English and maths skills further. The practical aspect of the course will give you valuable experience within a disciplined industry with experience in realistic environments.
Students will also be developing their physical fitness, team-building and communication skills all of which are vital skills when entering the public service sector.
There's lots of perks to this course, including:
- Bootcamp, Army Life and Wales expeditions
- Trip to the Houses of Parliament
- Access to the College gym
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Weekly drills and physical activity sessions
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed on both academic ability and practical performance. You must be prepared to maintain a strong academic record as this is considered equally as important as your ability to perform in the practical elements.
You will be assessed continually using a range of different activities; these will include practical activities, physical performance, group and individual presentations, displays, discussions, written reports and case studies
To take on this course you will need:
We also welcome applications from students with relevant experience of qualifications.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
There are a few things you will need to purchase in advance of your start date, as well as being required to contribute a cost towards trips.We can give you more details on how to buy these when you enrol, but in the meantime here's a general idea of what you will need:
- Uniformed public services drill uniform (specific to HRC)
- Trainers and fitness wear
If you think you would benefit from financial support we have bursary options available for those who meet the criteria. Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is subject to availability at the time of application.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2019.
If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2019, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay approx. £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £5500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £2000 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £8500 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2018/19 and could be subject to change for 2019/20).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification. You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.