This course is unique to any other Sports courses available at HRC. It is unique in that you will have teaching from industry trained practitioners and will have access to gym facilities for the duration of your course. This highly competitive practical course will be coupled with a Level 3 programme of study to prepare you for this exciting industry.
What makes Sport at HRC special?
- Our course will help you get to the maximum of your ability.
- Good progression opportunities to University pathways
- Gym and Sports Hall access
- Industry trained professionals
- Partnerships working with local organisations and businesses
- Links with local Universities
- Practical elements
What do our students say?
"I was impressed with the facilities and I got on well with the staff and teachers."
"I love that the course was hands on and a more practical way of learning."
"I've always been fascinated with Sport and this course fitted my learning and practical needs for me to progress in Sport in the future."
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Sport coaching
- Sport science
- Sport therapy
- Sport Teacher
- Gym Instructor
- Personal Trainer
- Strength and Conditioning Teacher
- Sports analysis
- Sports journalism
- Sport Psychology
- Sport Massage
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this course, you can choose to:
- Progress on to the Sport and Exercise Science Level 3 course
- Apply for a degree at university
- Enter into employment in this industry
What will I be doing?
Over the course of your college week you will be completing a combination of both theory and practical based work. You will study units that will provide you with an insight into the various sectors included with the Sports industry i.e. Sports Nutrition, Business in Sport and Instructing Physical activity. You will also study and partake in a variety of team sports to develop your skills, technique and tactical awareness.
There's lots of perks to this course, including:
- Access to free gym membership
- Opportunities to follow individual training development programmes
- Industry talks from professionals
- Potential trip abroad
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a combination of both theory and practical work e.g. coaching and practical instruction. Continuous on-going assessment takes place throughout the year to develop a portfolio of evidence
Types of assessment include:
- Role play
- Group work
- Professional discussion
- Written report
To take on this course you will need:
- A minimum of Grade 3/D in both English and maths plus three other GCSE subjects at Grade 3/D or above
- A sporting performance reference provided by a previous teacher, coach or manager An academic reference from a previous educational provider
We also welcome applications from students with relevant experience of qualifications.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
What equipment will I need?
Though you may expect this programme to be just practical experience, you will find it has a lot of theory and information that you will need to learn. You WILL need to make notes, organise hand-outs etc., so that you have the information that you need for your programme/assignment tasks
- Pens, paper, ruler
- Memory stick
- Geometry set
- Calculator (scientific calculator if doing GCSE Maths)
- A4 Files
A laptop or tablet would be beneficial to help support you with your studies both in and out of class. During your Study Programme (SP) you will take part in practical workshops, therefore we would expect you to be in the appropriate attire. This includes:
- Black Sports Top
- Black Bottoms (shorts, tracksuit bottoms or leggings)
- Work experience in industry settings
- University workshop sessions and tours
- Visits to 'elite' sporting stadiums
- All tutors have in-depth industry experience
- Access to Gym facilities
Free to Home students under 19 on 31st August 2023.
If you are a Home student aged 19 or over on the 31st August 2023, you may be liable to pay approximately £2,500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5,000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the tuition fees for 2022/2023 and could be subject to change for 2023/2024).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free tuition if the course you choose is on a government-approved list and the qualification is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
If you are aged over 24 and you have not achieved a full Level 3 qualification you may be entitled to free tuition if the qualification is listed on the Government Free courses for jobs list. Similarly, if you already hold a Level 3 qualification (or above) and meet the Adult Education Budgets definition of unemployed or are in receipt of low wage, you may also be entitled to free tuition.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2021-22 costs and may be subject to change
You will be required to pay the fee for: