Take on one of our ever-popular Teacher Training courses to support you on the road to a rewarding and fulfilling career with many perks and benefits.
This is a two-year, part-time course which leads to an initial teaching qualification for those who teach or intend to teach in the education and training sector.
Our Teacher Training courses are validated by the University of Greenwich, meaning you can be confident that you are achieving a recognised qualification.
What makes Teacher Training at HRC special?
- Our part-time courses in Teacher Training will provide you with flexible study hours to fit around your commitments
- You are able to work in the sector whilst completing your qualification
- Students who successfully complete this qualification will be able to take up full teaching roles within the sector
- Our lecturers have years of experience within the sector, so will be able to support you throughout your time with us
- You will be able to gain a deeper understanding of the sector
- You will build a portfolio of work to support you at interviews
What do our students say?
"The staff are so friendly and they have great facilities"
"I recommend this course to anyone thinking about it, I am much more confident now"
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Teaching Assistant
- Assessor/Training for Apprenticeships
- Industry Trainer e.g. Paramedics, Trade Unions
- Private Tutor
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this course, you can choose to:
- Enter into a career in the sector
- Apply for a specialist teaching course
- Progress onto an Assessor or Verifier award
What will I be doing?
We will help you learn a wide range of skills that will support you to work in the teaching industry, including how to:
- Undertake group learning activities to develop your knowledge and understanding of teaching in the education and training sector
- Complete assignments linked to the programme's themes
- Plan and deliver teaching and learning (50 hours minimum in each year of study)
- Complete wider reading and research
- Teach competently within your subject specialist area
- Reflect critically on a range of professional issues and practices
- Take responsibility for identifying your own continuing professional development
There's lots of perks to this course, including:
- Opportunities to have contact with a diverse range of HRC colleagues acting as guest speakers. They will deliver talks and Q&As on their specific specialism, for example Student Services, Learning Support etc., which will provide you with an insight into the different sectors your qualification could take you to
- You will have access to our Careers team who can help support you with job applications and interview techniques
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed by completing assignments which are submitted at the end of each semester (there are two semesters per year). You will also complete a practical teaching folder which shows evidence of your ongoing practice, including teaching observations and a professional development record.
P>To take on this course you will need:
- A Level 3 or above qualification in your subject specialism
- 100 hours teaching practice (50 in each year of study) - confirmation of teaching practice is required prior to enrolment
- A Level 2 English and maths qualification (or evidence of working at that level)
- A degree or equivalent qualification if you wish to enrol on the PGCE programme
- Basic IT competency as assignments need to be typed
We also welcome applications from students with a Level 2 qualification with significant industry experience.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, course content or teaching practice requirements contact Debra Kitcher on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
There are some items you will need to purchase in advance of the course which you should expect to replace as and when you need to during the year.
This will include, but may not be limited to, standard note-taking equipment.
2019/20 fees for this course are currently £3082.50 per annum (total fees for the two-year course are £6165) but may be subject to change. Please enquire as to the current fees when applying. There will also be a £49 fee for a DBS check. Students undertaking this programme may be eligible for a student loan through Student Finance England.