Do you need help with the costs of coming to College?
At HRC, we understand that college can be expensive, so we have various kinds of financial support that you may be eligible for. If you are interested in applying for financial support with us, please pop into one of our information centres where friendly and qualified staff will be able to guide you through the application process.
Bursary Application Form & Guidance for 16-18, 19+ and Advanced Learner Loans Bursary
Bursary application forms & guidance for 23/24 are now available.
Please note that applications can only be submitted once you have Enrolled on a programme of study at Hertford Regional College for the academic year 23/24. We cannot accept Bursary applications prior to your enrolment.
Bursaries, loans and hardship funding
16-19 Bursary Fund
You could be eligible for support towards essential course related costs including kits, trips, uniforms, books, travel, membership fees, DBS checks and £150 yearly towards materials if your household income is below £25,000 gross. If your household income is below £16,190 or is on means-tested benefits, you could also receive up to 100% towards essential course trips.
19+ Bursary Fund
If your household income is below £25,000 gross, you could receive assistance towards the cost of coming to College, including travel on public transport, essential course materials, trips, kits, uniform and exam fees.
20+ Childcare Fund
Care to Learn Childcare Funding
A national scheme is also available to help fund childcare for young learners ages 16 – 20 studying on an eligible course.
For more information please visit www.gov.uk/care-to-learn
Advanced Learner Loans
For information on Advanced Learner Loans, click here.
If your household income is under £25,000 gross, you may be able to apply for the Advanced Learner Loans Bursary.
If you would like further information, contact the Information Team directly on 01992 411411.
Help with travel costs
All eligible students aged 16-21 and enrolled on a full-time programme of study, can apply directly to the Information Centre to purchase termly Hertfordshire and non-Hertfordshire bus passes at a fixed termly rate. Terms and conditions apply. Hertfordshire students are required to provide a valid Herts Saver Card in order for their pass to be issued by HRC.
Do you use the Arriva Bus?
At Hertford Regional College we can provide you with discounted termly bus passes with the Arriva Bus.
The Arriva bus pass is available to eligible students at a subsidised rate for Hertfordshire and Non-Hertfordshire residents. The Hertfordshire Saver card will give you 50% off bus travel in Hertfordshire is available to all eligible students up to the age of 19 (or if you are 18 before 31st August 2023 enrolment).
You can purchase your Bus Pass at our Information Centre on campus. Once purchased your Bus Pass is active immediately, and can be used during Term Time 7 days a week.
The cost of the termly ticket is as follows:
- Lea Valley termly bus pass £164.00 Autumn Term, £124.00 Spring Term & £152.00 Summer Term (If you live in Hertfordshire you are required to purchase a Herts Saver Card https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/schools-and-education/travel-to-school/savercard/savercard.aspx )
- All Zones termly bus pass £252.00 Autumn Term, £196.00 Spring Term & £236.00 Summer Term (If you live in Hertfordshire you are required to purchase a Herts Saver Card https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/services/schools-and-education/travel-to-school/savercard/savercard.aspx )
You can apply for the HCC Saver online or download the paper application form from http://www.hertsdirect.org/savercard.
To see the full range of travel schemes available to support you, click here.
Get around for £2 with Arriva!
Until 31st October 2023, a single bus journey with Arriva will cost no more than £2 – making coming to college easier for you.
Please see the Information Centre for further advise on discounted termly bus passes.
All our students can start each day of study with a free breakfast. Served between 8:15 am and 8:45 am, students will have a choice from:
- Bacon or sausage bap
- Cereal and a piece of fruit
- Yoghurt pot and a piece of fruit
- Two slices of toast
All options are served with a hot beverage.
Free meals for Further Education students aged 16-18
Free meals are available for students who are in receipt of, or have parents who are in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support under part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and they have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.
- Universal Credit