This course will equip you with the skills and knowledge to work in the media, film and theatre industry as an advanced and highly trained make-up artist.
What can I do next?
- Progress to Higher Education
What will I be doing?
This is a one year programme that will enable you to develop the skills essential for employment in the Hair and Media Make-up industry, working in film, theatre, music, TV and all other aspects of media. Topics covered are:
- Face and body art
- Media make up
- Airbrush make up
- Camouflage make up
- Fashion and photographic make up
- Creative hairdressing
- Style and dress hair and media make up
- Provide hair extensions
- Functional skills
Depending on your prior achievements, you may be able to re-sit GCSE English and/or Maths, or attend Functional Skills, English and/or Maths.
Enrichment activities (trips/visits etc) will be arranged for example to the Alternative Hair Show, which are beneficial to this course and your learning. They are optional and additional fees will be charged to you, details are provided once the course starts. Compulsory enrichment activities will be free of charge. 60 hours work placement in the Media Industry. (One day a week work placement is ideal to enhance learning and prepare for assessment and industry).
How will I be assessed?
- Your theory and practical knowledge will be assessed formatively throughout the year by your tutors, in preparation for a formal end of year assessment/exam covering practical and theory knowledge. (Internal and external moderation).
This course is ideal for Level 2 Hair and Media Make-up students wishing to progress further in the field. To do so you must have demonstrated good attendance and timekeeping, the ability to meet deadlines and have excellent skills development.
You will also need to have a creative flair, a genuine interest in the hair and media make up industry, good personal presentation and communication skills. We welcome applicants from the hair and media make up industry seeking a qualification.
What do I need to bring?
- You will need to purchase personal stationery.
- Kit and uniform are ordered and purchased by students. Kits are non-refundable once the course starts.
- For students progressing from within the department, previous kit items could be appropriate but additional items may need to be purchased (depending on previous course).
- Payment for optional enrichment activities are detailed throughout the year
Free to Home students under 19 on 31st August 2023.
If you are a Home student aged 19 or over on the 31st August 2023, you may be liable to pay approximately £2,500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5,000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the tuition fees for 2022/2023 and could be subject to change for 2023/2024).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free tuition if the course you choose is on a government-approved list and the qualification is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
If you are aged over 24 and you have not achieved a full Level 3 qualification you may be entitled to free tuition if the qualification is listed on the Government Free courses for jobs list. Similarly, if you already hold a Level 3 qualification (or above) and meet the Adult Education Budgets definition of unemployed or are in receipt of low wage, you may also be entitled to free tuition.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2021-22 costs and may be subject to change