This course is unique to any other course at Herford Regional College, due to the nature of the vocational opportunity given to learners. Successful applicants will be part of a department that invests in its learners by giving them access to uniformed public services bootcamp, bespoke residential trips and visits, along with being taught by highly qualified and skilled vocational teachers.
This highly competitive vocational course will prepare you for your next steps and progression into uniformed public services
What makes Public Services at HRC special?
- Our course will help you get to the maximum of your ability
- You will be supported to develop the skills and attributes required to pass the aptitude test required for uniformed public services
- You will be supported to develop fitness levels required to pass the uniformed public services fitness test
- Students will be prepared to successfully transition into uniformed public services
- You will develop your skills in English and maths in line with industry expectations
- You will develop your interview skills
What do our students say?
"I was impressed with the facilities and I got on well with the staff and teachers."
"I love that the course was hands on and a more practical way of learning"
We're proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Fire Brigade
- Armed Forces
- Prison Service
- border Forces
What can I do next?
After you have successfully completed this course, you can choose to:
- Apply for the two year Public Services Level 3 course
- Apply to join the Uniformed Public Services
- Enter into employment
What will I be doing?
Over the course of your college week you will be completing a vocational structured training programme with the option to develop English and maths skills further. The practical aspect of the course will give you valuable experience within a disciplined industry with experience in realistic environments.
Students will also be developing their physical fitness, team-building and communication skills all of which are vital skills when entering the public service sector.
There's lots of perks to this course, including:
- Bootcamp, Army Life and Wales expeditions
- Trip to the Houses of Parliament
- Access to the College gym
- Duke of Edinburgh Award
- Weekly drills and physical activity sessions
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed on both academic ability and practical performance. You must be prepared to maintain a strong academic record as this is considered equally as important as your ability to perform in the practical elements.
You will be assessed continually using a range of different activities; these will include practical activities, physical performance, group and individual presentations, displays, discussions, written reports and case studies.
To take on this course you will need:
- Maths and English at Grade 3/D or above plus three other GCSE subjects at Grade 3/D or a Level 2 Diploma at Merit level and a minimum GCSE Grade 4/C or equivalent in English or maths
- A sporting performance reference provided by a previous teacher, coach or manager
- An Academic reference from a previous educational provider
We also welcome applications from students with relevant experience of qualifications.
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
There are a few things you will need to purchase in advance of your start date, as well as being required to contribute a cost towards trips. We can give you more details on how to buy these when you enrol, but in the meantime here's a general idea of what you will need:
- Uniformed public services drill uniform (specific to HRC)
- Trainers and fitness wear
If you think you would benefit from financial support we have bursary options available for those who meet the criteria. Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is subject to availability at the time of application.
Free to Home students under 19 on 31st August 2023.
If you are a Home student aged 19 or over on the 31st August 2023, you may be liable to pay approximately £2,500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5,000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the tuition fees for 2022/2023 and could be subject to change for 2023/2024).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free tuition if the course you choose is on a government-approved list and the qualification is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
If you are aged over 24 and you have not achieved a full Level 3 qualification you may be entitled to free tuition if the qualification is listed on the Government Free courses for jobs list. Similarly, if you already hold a Level 3 qualification (or above) and meet the Adult Education Budgets definition of unemployed or are in receipt of low wage, you may also be entitled to free tuition.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2024-25 costs and may be subject to change
You will be required to pay the fee for:
- Kit (uniform)
- Compulsory trips that are part of the course curriculum