This is a one-year, part-time course which offers a range of awards for assessors, with the type of award you take depending on where you conduct your assessments. This course focuses on teaching and training in a variety of settings, including colleges and independent training organisations, whereby educational/training practitioners involved with assessing learners as part of their professional role are expected to have achieved Level 3 Assessor status.
There are four pathways to choose from that are based on Understanding the Principles and Practices of Assessment (3 credits):
- A knowledge-only Award for those who need to know about assessment but who are not currently practicing e.g. aspiring assessors
- For practitioners who assess the achievement of competence in a work environment using the following assessment methods: observation, examining work products, oral questioning and discussion, use of others (e.g witnesses), learner statements and RPL
- For practitioners who assess achievement in vocationally related situations e.g., classrooms or workshops and who use the following assessment methods: assessments in simulated environments, skills tests, oral and written questions, assignments, projects, case studies and RPL
- For practitioners who need to be qualified to use ALL of the above listed assessment methods
This course is offered based on either one or a combination of the above units depending on your requirements and is validated by the City and Guilds Awarding Body and is a nationally recognised qualification.
What can I do next?
Achieving the L3 Assessor Award qualification, successful candidates are fully qualified to assess learners within their own vocational area and subject specialism, either within the organisation in which they work or as an independent assessor in industry or within the apprenticeship scheme
You can also choose to progress onto the L4 Internal Quality Assurer Award.
What will I be doing?
You will undertake flexible 1:1 training sessions with the Assessor-Trainer to develop your knowledge and skills in relation to the assessment of the achievement of learner competence in the education and training sector.
This course will be delivered through online and blended learning.
Units of study include:
- Unit 301 - Understanding the Principles and Practices of Assessment
- Unit 303 - Assess Vocational Skills, Knowledge and Understanding
This part-time course provides you with flexible training hours to suit your own work and personal commitments. You are able to work in the sector whilst completing your qualification.
All candidates must complete a pre-assessment with the Assessor-Trainer to confirm their ability to acquire the relevant evidence to achieve the Award.
All applicants must provide evidence they have access to two learners to assess.
All applicants to attend an interview with the Assessor-Trainer through TEAMS and complete the pre-assessment form.
The course fee is £650.00
These fees are indicative of the 2022-23 costs and may be subject to change