If you really love cooking and think that you would like to be a chef this craft skills course is for you. You will learn at your own pace all the skills you will need to find work in a busy kitchen environment. You will have the chance to experience working in local hotels and other catering establishments. You can then either enter work or consider taking the more advanced Level 3 course.
What can I do next?
- You can progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery.
- Apply for jobs in the Hospitality & Catering industry
What will I be doing?
- Diploma in Professional Cookery Level 2,
- Food & Beverage Service Level 2,
- Food Safety Certificate (CIEH)
- There will be opportunities to enter competitions, take part in industry visits and trips relating to your course. Work Placements are also an integral part of this course.
- You may also study Functional skills, in Maths and/or English.
How will I be assessed?
Assessments consist of a number of units broken down into elements, both mandatory and optional, assessed in the classroom and our realistic working environment backed up with practical application.
- You will need a Level 1 Functional Skill qualification or GCSE at C or above in Maths and English.
- Some work experience in the industry would be an advantage and you will need to complete a medical assessment questionnaire
- Please be aware that all visible piercings will need to be removed in practical lessons.
- The outcome of your initial diagnostic assessment will also be taken into consideration when offering you a programme of study.
What do I need to bring?
- You will already have your uniform and knives from your Level 1 qualification, however you will need to order and pay £15.00 for new skull caps and neckerchiefs direct fro the supplier . You will also have the opportunity to replace any items and purchase some optional specialist equipment.
- You will have to pay £40.00 towards the cost of industry related trips.
- You will also have the opportunity to take part in an optional overseas residential trip at an approximate cost of £400.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2017. If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2017, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant, you will pay approx. £1500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £3000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2016/17 and could be subject to change for 2017/18). Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £1500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £3000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2016/17 and could be subject to change for 2017/18). If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable. For these costs please contact our Information Centre.