If you have a passion for managing events and see yourself as the next big events, wedding, festival or venue manager then our Events Management course will give you the opportunity to flex your planning, co-ordinating and networking skills.
Covid -19 has had a devastating effect on many industries including the Hospitality sector. As we are now emerging from the lockdowns the general public are desperate to attend events and visit hospitality venues. We predict a huge surge in demand for all kind of events and our Level 3 and HND programmes will give you the skills and experience to join this fantastic industry!
We have introduced new units including Environment and Sustainability plus Technology and Digital Media this year to reflect the changing world and expectations of employers and guests to prepare you with the skills to secure your dream job!
What makes Event Management at HRC special?
- You will be given opportunities to plan, organise and deliver events within the local community
- You will work with students from other areas in the college to deliver events and projects
- You will work at major events
- You will have the opportunity to go on some fantastic trips and see behind the scenes at events
- You will work with lecturers who have years of experience in the industry who can guide you throughout the course
What do our students say?
"This is a hands-on, practical way of learning. I have freedom to put on events and be assessed through the events I plan. The tutors have been very supportive."
"I really enjoy working with the team in The Atrium restaurant to plan events, including designing menus and decorating the restaurant. I'm planning to go into Events as a career after this and this course is helping me feel ready to do this."
We are proud that our students go onto careers including:
- Community Event Manager
- Wedding Planner
- Activities and Event Planner
- Event Operations Planner
- Exhibition Co-ordinator
- Field Events Manager
- Campaign and Events Co-ordinator
- Director of Special Events
- Tourism Promotion Manager
- Resorts Operations Manager
- Field Sports Manager
- Game Day Staff
- Festival Organiser
- Venue/Stadium Manager
- Hotel Manager
What can I do next?
This course enables students to pursue a career in a wide range of fields, including project launches, theme parties, festivals, concerts, VIP events, ceremonies, weddings, conferences, press conferences and team building events.
After you have successfully completed this course, you can choose to:
- Continue onto the second year of this course
- Enter into employment in this industry
- Progress on to Higher Education courses eg our HND in Hospitality and Event Management or an Events degree at University
What will I be doing?
This course is a blend of classroom learning and online digital learning in world-class facilities at our Broxbourne campus and challenging work placement opportunities. The course offers you a unique chance to gain unrivalled work experience in a variety of roles and areas in the events industry. We work with employer partners to offer work experience including:
- Comic Con ( customer facing role at a major event )
- Tottenham Hotspur Football Stadium ( working in Premium areas on major event days - paid )
- Birch ( working with the events team and in customer facing roles )
- Ware Dickensian Evening ( assisting with planning and delivery of this major event )
- Ware community projects ( assisting with planning and delivery of community events )
- East Herts Active ( assisting with planning and delivery of community events )
Many previous learners have been offered paid work upon completion of these placements.
You will also build skills which are required in the Event Management industry, including research and analytical skills, creative thinking, problem-solving and team building. While doing this, we will introduce you to different aspects of the industry to help you understand what you're most interested in. This will cover hospitality, customer service, marketing, business planning and more
Year 1 Units
- The Hospitality Industry
- Supervising Customer Service
- Customer Service in Hospitality
- Technology and Digital Media
- Events Organisation
- Planning an Event
Year Two Units
- Financial Control
- Food and Drink Service
- Alcoholic Beverages
- European Food
- Hospitality Business Enterprise
- Personal and Professional Development
If you're looking for added extras, you've found the right course. Not only will your lecturers introduce you to guest speakers skilled in Event Management so you can network with them, you will also have the opportunity to leave the classroom and experience the industry for yourself.
You will enjoy trips and visits to amazing events, such as Comic Con and the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium . On top of this you can have the chance to go on international trips to get a glimpse at different hospitality cultures. Past trips have included Burning Witch Festival in Prague, the Sitges Carnival in Barcelona and Madison Square Gardens in New York.
How will I be assessed?
You will be assessed through a mix of methods, including written reports and essays, exams, work-based projects, PowerPoint presentations and reflective journals.
To take on this course you will need:
- At least 194 GCSE entry points OR a Level 2 Diploma at Merit level in a related subject such as Business or Travel and Tourism
- GCSE Grade C/4 in English and maths
If you would like help understanding our entry requirements, give our Information Team a call on 01992 411411.
What do I need to bring?
You will need a selection of note-taking resources, depending on your preferred learning method. This could include notepads, pens and pencils. Students will need to bring a laptop or tablet to every lesson.
You will also need a valid passport so that you can join us on international trips. You will be required to contribute towards the cost of these trips.
As an Event Management student you will be required to work occasional evenings and/or weekends.
If you think you would benefit from financial support we have bursary options available for those who meet the criteria. Please note, this funding is not guaranteed and is subject to availability at the time of application.
Free to Home students under 19 on 31st August 2023.
If you are a Home student aged 19 or over on the 31st August 2023, you may be liable to pay approximately £2,500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approximately £5,000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the tuition fees for 2022/2023 and could be subject to change for 2023/2024).
If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free tuition if the course you choose is on a government-approved list and the qualification is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
If you are aged over 24 and you have not achieved a full Level 3 qualification you may be entitled to free tuition if the qualification is listed on the Government Free courses for jobs list. Similarly, if you already hold a Level 3 qualification (or above) and meet the Adult Education Budgets definition of unemployed or are in receipt of low wage, you may also be entitled to free tuition.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable.
These fees are indicative of the 2021-22 costs and may be subject to change