The Certificate is designed to teach you the basic craft skills of cooking e.g. roasting whole poultry and help you understand the principles of cooking such as why does starch thicken a sauce. You learn how to plan, prepare, cook and present a wide variety of dishes as if you were in a professional kitchen.
What can I do next?
- You can progress on to the Level 2 Diploma in Culinary Skills or the Level 2 in Professional Cookery
- Apply for jobs in the Hospitality & Catering industry.
What will I be doing?
- Certificate in Culinary Skills Level 1,
- Bakery and Patisserie work,
- Food Safety Certificate (CIEH)
- There will be opportunities to enter competitions, take part in industry visits and trips relating to your course. Work Placements are also an integral part of this course.
- You will also study Functional skills, in Maths and/or English depending on your GCSE grades.
How will I be assessed?
You will have 6 timed practical assessments in our realistic working environment backed up with short answer test papers.
- You will need a minimum of 32 GCSE entry points, including Maths or English at Grade G or equivalent.
- Please be aware that all visible piercings will need to be removed in practical lessons.
- The outcome of your initial diagnostic assessment will also be taken into consideration when offering you a programme of study.
What do I need to bring?
- You will have to pay for your uniform, knives and a textbook at an approximate cost of £170.00 direct from the supplier,and £40.00 towards the cost of industry related trips.
- You will also have the opportunity to take part in an optional overseas residential trip at an approximate cost of £400 and pay for your own personal stationery.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2017. If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2017, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last 3 years and are a fee paying new entrant, you will pay approx. £1500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £3000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2016/17 and could be subject to change for 2017/18). Fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £1500 tuition fee for a Level 2 qualification and approx. £3000 for a Level 3 qualification (these were the fees for 2016/17 and could be subject to change for 2017/18). If you are aged 19-23 you may also be entitled to free training if the course you choose is your first full Level 2 or Level 3 qualification.
You may also be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable. For these costs please contact our Information Centre.